College Bound Juniors
Junior College Planning Checklist
❏ Make sure you can sign into your Naviance Account.
❏ If not, please email your guidance counselor for your login information.
❏ Search and build list of colleges in Naviance
❏ The Super Match search is found under Colleges tab → Find Your Fit
❏ Add colleges to naviance “Colleges I’m Thinking About”
❏ Use the Compare Me button on the Colleges I’m Thinking About page to spot check your list and make sure you have Reach, Target and Likely Schools.
❏ Visit Colleges Virtually and in person and attend Virtual College Fairs.
❏ Ask teachers to write a recommendation (most schools will want two teachers) Please ask in person if possible. Each teacher may have their own form for you to fill out.
❏ If you need a Guidance Counselor recommendation please fill out the Guidance Recommendation form in Naviance
❏ Click About Me→My Surveys→Surveys Not Started→Guidance Recommendation Form
❏ Start taking a look at the Common Application Essay Prompts, and start thinking about essay topics. https://www.commonapp.org/apply/essay-prompts
❏ Email or sign up for a meeting with your Guidance Counselor if you have any
- Watch the College Bound Junior video (emailed 1/25)
- Attend a small group virtual Q&A (Thursday, 1/28) with your guidance counselor
- Students attend small group virtual meetings with a guidance counselor to review transcripts, Naviance and standardized testing.
- Both students & parents confirm they can log into their Naviance account
- Build a Resume in Naviance(Clubs, Activities, Sports, Job, Community Service)
February - April
- Register for SAT/ACT (SAT II school depending)
- March 24 - NAHS offering “School Day SAT”
- Visit college campuses
- Juniors start meeting individually with their guidance counselor to review the application process, college list, etc.
- Attend College Fairs & Information Sessions (virtual or live)
- For Div. I/II Athletes: Take January or March SAT/ACT
May - June
- Juniors continue meeting individually with their guidance counselor to review the application process, college list, etc.
- Ask a teacher for a letter of recommendation (minimum 1, maximum 2)
- If applicable, take any of the following tests - SAT/SAT II/ACT
- Start to narrow down your college list- continue to visit campuses
July - August
- Create a Common Application account and start filling out the application
- Complete Guidance Recommendation Form in Naviance
- Draft and edit essay for applications
- Find out if/when/where/how your top schools conduct interviews
- Continue visiting college campuses
- For Div. I/II Athletes: Register on the NCAA Clearinghouse
- Attend small group meeting with your guidance counselor (early September) where they will distribute your updated transcript and review the Application Checklist
- Finalize college list
- Confirm teacher recommendation(s)
- Finalize college essay(s) - some colleges require several essays
- Attend virtual College Rep Visits at NAHS - schedule posted on the guidance webpage
- Attend College Fairs (live or virtual)
- Schedule college interviews (if applicable)
- Continue visiting college campuses
- If applying early (Early Action/Early Decision) request transcripts in Naviance
- If applicable, take final SAT/ACT/SAT II
- Through College Board or ACT , submit your standardized test scores to colleges
- Complete FAFSA and CSS Profile (school depending)
- Finalize essay(s)
- Complete applications
- Attend virtual College Rep Visits at NAHS
- Submit Early Action/Decision 11/1, 11/15, and Rolling applications
December - March
- Submit Regular Decision and Rolling applications
- Receive Early application decisions and financial aid packages
- Apply for NAHS based scholarships in February
- Attend Accepted Students Days
- Decide where you will go & submit your deposit!
- Complete Application & submit
- Ask teachers for recommendations
- Send SAT/ACT Scores
- Complete Guidance Recommendation Form
- Schedule campus tours and interviews
- Complete and submit transcript release form
- Submit transcripts
- Submit school forms
- Submit Counselor & Teacher Recs
- Submit Mid-Year Reports
- Submit Final Transcript